FACET members are among FACET-eligible campuses best teachers.
- Teaching must be a primary responsibility for the faculty member, typically with a minimum of one course taught per semester.
- Full-time tenure-track and tenured faculty, full-time non-tenure-track lecturers, teaching professors, professors of practice, faculty with full-time clinical teaching assignments (e.g., medicine, nursing, law, optometry), and librarians with significant teaching responsibilities are eligible for nomination.
- It typically takes around 5 years or more to reach the point that an excellent instructor has established a record of teaching excellence that meets all FACET membership criteria. We recommend that faculty be nominated after 5 years of teaching at an eligible Indiana University campus. In exceptional cases, to recognize that some faculty have accrued years of experience at other universities, nominations can be made for faculty who have completed 3 years of full-time teaching at a FACET-eligible campus by June 1st of the year in which they are nominated.
Years as a visiting professor or lecturer count toward requirements as long as the candidate is currently in a full-time position (non-visiting). Whatever a nominee’s faculty rank, a FACET nominee should be among the institution’s most outstanding teaching faculty. Nominees should be able to document and demonstrate their approach to teaching and their impact on learning in and beyond the classroom. They may have won Distinguished Teaching Awards, but nominations are not restricted to that group of faculty, nor is there a fixed quota for any discipline, rank, or campus.
FACET seeks to identify faculty who have:
- A record of and continuing pursuit of excellence in teaching, support of student learning, and helping colleagues to excel in teaching.
- A commitment to their own continuing growth through reflection.
- The willingness to advocate for the importance of teaching and learning — locally, regionally, and/or nationally.
- Advanced the craft of teaching through efforts in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated a willingness to continue involvement in teaching activities, specifically FACET activities.
Nominations can be initiated by any full-time faculty member or administrator who is familiar with the work of the candidate as a teacher. A brief letter, phone call, or e-mail to the FACET Associate Director will serve to initiate the process. Please contact your campus associate director for more information, deadlines per campus are listed below. FACET candidates may NOT self-nominate.
- A nomination is valid for two academic years for initial submission of a dossier.
- A letter from the Statewide Selection Committee inviting resubmission serves as a nomination and is valid for the following two academic years.
- A letter from the Statewide Selection Committee stating that the candidate is not ready will require a new nomination.
To request an exception, please review the Exception Request Procedure.