All FACET candidates must:
- Be full-time faculty members who have completed 3 years of full-time teaching in the Indiana University system by June 1st of the year in which they are nominated. Full-time tenure-track and tenured faculty, full-time non-tenure-track instructors or lecturers, faculty with full-time clinical teaching assignments (e.g. medicine, nursing), and librarians with significant teaching responsibilities are eligible for nomination. (The "years-completed-at-IU" requirement was reduced from 4 to 3 at the May 19, 2017 steering committee meeting.)
- Have teaching responsibilities (minimum of one course per semester).
Years as a visiting professor or lecturer count toward requirements as long as the candidate is currently in a full-time position (non-visiting). Whatever a nominee’s faculty rank, a FACET nominee should be among the institution’s most outstanding teaching faculty. Nominees should be able to document and demonstrate their approach to teaching and their impact on learning in and beyond the classroom. They may have won Distinguished Teaching Awards, but nominations are not restricted to that group of faculty, nor is there a fixed quota for any discipline, rank, or campus.
FACET seeks to identify faculty who have:
- A record of and continuing pursuit of excellence in teaching, support of student learning, and helping colleagues to excel in teaching.
- A commitment to their own continuing growth through reflection.
- The willingness to advocate for the importance of teaching and learning — locally, regionally, and/or nationally.
- Advanced the craft of teaching through efforts in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated a willingness to continue involvement in teaching activities, specifically FACET activities.
Please note that it typically takes 4-5 years to reach the point that a candidate can demonstrate excellence in teaching and show a record of meeting all FACET membership criteria.